Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Jan. 19 - Monday




Jan. 19 – This morning me and Chastity got up at 6am and went for a long walk in the pouring rain and I was able to find a coconut tree that had coconuts low enough that I could reach and pluck one off, the coconut water is so good and I understand good for you. We were absolutely soaked by the time we got back. Today we had decided to take the day off and do the zipline tour in the rainforest. Me, Brandon, Oriana and Megan decided to go, while Chastity and Amanda decided to stay home and rest. While we were waiting down at the end of the road for the tour bus to pick us up Brandon saw a father, mother and their 2 girls pushing their broke down car, so we ran to help them push it over to the side of the road right in front of the driveway we are staying on. As we were walking away they were saying “Gracias, gracias!” and I noticed a Kingdom Melodies songbook in the front dash. I said, “you are testigos de Jehova”? They looked surpised and answered, “yes!” I responded, we are your “hermanos!” and the mother threw open her arms and gave us a big hug and kiss on the cheek (that’s the traditional greeting here). We tried our best to converse with them, but being that none of us really know much Spanish it was very hard. I told them that there are other witnesses that live up the road and brought them up to meet Carla and Jeiner who live just next to the house we are in. They were so happy to help. As we were walking back to the end of the driveway to watch for the tour bus one of our neighbors had climbed up a coconut tree with a machete and cut off a whole cluster of coconuts for us. They gave them to us and told us that if we wanted more just let them know and they would get more. Wow…the warmth of the Costa Ricans is just amazing! The locals will sell you a chilled coconut with a straw at the beach for around a dollar. They are so good, especially when it’s really hot out. Next we were off to the rainforest! Brandon and Oriana had a great time. Fortunately it didn’t rain this time so I got a lot of good photos and footage. After returning home we all loaded up and went to one of our favorite restaurants, Barba Rojo. Tomorrow is Brandon and Oriana's anniversary so Brandon suprised Ork with a beautiful painted piece of tile. We took them to Barba Rojo because we knew they would love it! Their nachos are to die for. A great way to end the day.

9 comments:

  1. I love that story!!!! I love our brotherhood!!
    Happy anniversary Zubis'!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy anniversary. from "I'm not a horrible mother-in-law, am I?" "Of course you are, who told you otherwise?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm watching "killer crocs of costa rica" on the animal channel.let us know if you run across any crocs eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. so which coconut will taste better?...the 1 you walked in the rain for or the bunch from the friends? :)
    happy anniversary to the zubis's what a great 2 year gift..2 weeks in warm weather with friends.
    keep up the blog its wonderful!
    karleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pics have been awesome! Happy Anniversary Zubis'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I can finally post a comment - set up a Google account. Anyway how did your rock-climbing/whatever trip go .. I set this up as background on my desktop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohhhh i loooooove ziplining! sooo much fun. i bet it was absolutely gorgeous zipping in the rain forest (jealous!). HAPPY ANNI Brandon & Orka!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there! It's wonderful reading your comments.
    What a wait to meet the friends....
    Happy Anniversary to the Zubis's

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like to go to Costa Rica this summer. I am trying to learn Spanish to serve in a Spanish congregation here in Iowa. I thought Costa Rica would be a safe beautiful place to learn. I would like to rent a simple room near Grecia, Costa Rica. Do you have suggestions on how I might connect with a Witness family/sister who could rent to me?

    ReplyDelete